UN: 700 women raped at Congo-Angola border
United Nations officials said they were investigating reports that some 700 Congolese women were sexually attacked along the country's border with Angola.
Maurizio Giuliano, a spokesman for the U.N.'s humanitarian agency, said the women were among a group of some 7,000 Congolese expelled from Angola in October. He said many women said Angolan soldiers were responsible for their attacks. He said the U.N. has called on Angola and Congo to investigate the reports.
"We call on them to investigate these allegations and to prevent any human rights violations during any future expulsions," he said.
U.N. refugee agency spokeswoman Celine Schmitt said Friday that U.N. agencies will launch their own investigation this month.
The allegations follow a report last week in which the U.N. said at least 30 women said they were imprisoned, gang-raped and left without clothes in the bush along the border. Guiliano said doctors examined the 30 women in the Congolese town of Tembo and confirmed they were raped.
Congolese frequently cross Angola's border to work as laborers in the mining districts between the two Central African nations.