TEN THINGS MANY DON'T KNOW ABOUT MR SUSHI
. Kenny Kunene lives in Sandton, in northern Johannesburg, and owns a house in Welkom, in the Free State;
- Kenny Kunene lives in Sandton, in northern Johannesburg, and owns a house in Welkom, in the Free State;
- A father of three, Kunene was born in the Free State town of Odendaalsrus;
- He qualified as a teacher at Vista University, Welkom;
- He wears two watches. The one on his left hand shows South African time, the one on his right New York time. He says this is so that he knows when to phone musicians and their managers in the Big Apple. He is forming an international concerts company;
- His jackets are made by Johannesburg fashion designer David Tlale;
- He owns a 70-year-old 200ml bottle of Mortlach whisky, which he displays at his Sandton ZAR Lounge;
- He spent six years locked up in Bloemfontein's Grootvlei Prison after being convicted of fraud. He was released in 2003;
- In 2005, Kunene landed a teaching job at a private school, at which he taught for 15 months;
- He got his big break in 2007 when, together with former gangster and now business partner Gayton McKenzie, he sold 80000 copies of McKenzie's book, The Choice: the Gayton McKenzie Story, to a Western Cape man who donated the book to schools.
They invested the profits from the sale of the book in their construction and mining consulting companies;
- Kunene donates money "regularly" to a hospice, and performs other charity work, including visiting prisons.