Kathy Romer-Lee’s baked gammon with orange and vanilla pears
BAKED GAMMON WITH ORANGE AND VANILLA PEARS Chef and operations manager, Oaklands Country Manor, Van Reenen "At our small, family-run establishment, we believe in sustainable food sourced locally, grown and cooked with integrity. This is a recipe I use regularly, because it is easy, versatile and delicious."
- Baked gammon:
- About 1.5kg boneless gammon
- 500ml (2 cups) water
- 2 x 330ml bottles cider
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 2 carrots, roughly chopped
- 2 apples, roughly chopped
- 1 bunch fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- Handful whole black peppercorns
- Hot English mustard
- Brown sugar
- Orange and vanilla pears:
- 500ml (2 cups) freshly squeezed orange juice
- Fresh lemon juice, to taste
- Caster sugar, to taste
- Seeds of a vanilla pod
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
- 4 pears, peeled and cored, stalks on
Place the gammon, water, cider, onion, carrot, apple, parsley, bay leaf and peppercorns in a roasting pan. Cover with a tight lid and bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for 60-90 minutes until cooked. Remove and peel the skin when cool. Score the fat and smear with the mustard, then coat with the sugar and place under the oven grill, turning until well browned.
For the pears, mix the juices, sugar and spices together to taste. Place in a pot with the pears and poach gently until just cooked. Serve the pears warm with the sliced gammon.