Media 'ban' on snatched Cape boy
The family of a kidnapped Cape Town boy have appealed to the public to stop spreading rumours that could endanger the child's life.
The family of 12-year-old Nayati Moodliar, who was snatched as he walked to school in Malaysia with his sister on Friday, made the appeal yesterday.
Nayati was abducted as he walked to the Mont' Kiara International School.
His father, Shamelin, is a South African and his mother, Janice, is Dutch.
Yesterday family member Anushia Moodliar, of Cape Town, said the family has agreed to "a media blackout''.
Anushiatold the Sunday Times that she had been in contact with the South African High Commission in Malaysia.
"There is no reason why these men should kidnap Nayati. We are all very worried about this situation ... family members are in disbelief,'' she said.
The family, on the Facebook page "Please help us to find Nayati Moodliar", posted: "The speculation and rumours on the internet can actually hinder Nayati's return, so we urge everyone to please not post anything which is speculation-based.
"The Moodliar family are extremely grateful for all the support.''
Yesterday headmaster, Walter Morris, on the school's website, also called for those using social media to raise awareness about the Grade 7 pupil's abduction, to be careful.
Clayson Monyela, spokesman for the Department of International Relations and Cooperation, said the child entered Malaysia on a Dutch passport, "making him a Dutch citizen''.
"Accordingly, the Dutch are playing a primary role on the case. South Africa is playing a secondary role given his parent's citizenship,'' said Monyela.
A Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman declined to say what his government was doing to secure the boy's return.