How the world celebrates Nelson Mandela Day
Today, it's Nelson Mandela's birthday and the world will be celebrating this day with him. We wrap up all the creative ways in which this day is attributed to this great man.
Poem: Happy Birthday Madiba - by a TimesLIVE reader
The prominent figure of 21st Century,
Freedom hero among heroes,
Tata,you are our role model.. read more
On Facebook, many added a favourite Mandela quote to their status update or posted a picture of how they were marking the day. " Read more
- No learning is happening here today. The pupils are doing a stay-away... Read more
- How would things have been different if social media was in South Africa in 1964? Prezence Media decided to create a video to try and answer that question. Read more and check out the pictures
The Wits community will gather at the Wits Origins Centre on the East Campus at 13:15 on Mandela Day where an art exhibition, Mandela @ 94, is also currently on show. Click here for more happenings
- iSchoolAfrica Jeppe High School for Girls Youth Press Team make everyday Mandela Day and donated blankets during this winter. Watch video
South Africans will paint schools, plant trees, visit old age homes and sing happy birthday to celebrate former president Nelson Mandela's 94th birthday on Wednesday. Read more
From concerts to charity work, young and old are saying: "Happy birthday, Madiba" in ways that will also bring joy to others.
- South African Mark Beacon will climb the three highest peaks in the UK to celebrate Madiba's 94th. Read more..
- The ANC Youth League called on young people to change their profile pictures on social networking sites to photos of anti-apartheid icon and former president Nelson Mandela in celebration of his birthday on Monday. Read more
- Tour de France race officials to honour the anti-apartheid icon and a large banner reading "Happy Birthday Nelson Mandela" will be held up by local children before Wednesday's stage. Read more
- On behalf of the people of the United States, we would like to extend our heartfelt congratulations to Nelson Mandela on the occasion of his 94th birthday and the fourth annual Nelson Mandela International Day," the US first couple said in a statement honoring the antiapartheid icon. Read more
Robben Island prison guard Christo Brand recalls how 22 years ago only the struggle icon's family could wish him a happy birthday. We counted and listed them, recorded them in his file and burnt all the cards. Some of the cards we ended up burning in water boilers at the single quarters where we stayed. It was very sad." Read more
- A copy of the last print interview Nelson Mandela gave before going to prison in 1962 has been returned to the journalist who wrote it. Read more
Nelson Mandela will be surrounded by his family when he blows out 94 candles on his birthday cake today. Despite recent tensions flaring up between members of the Mandela family, there will be a display of unity at the former president's celebration lunch in Qunu in the Eastern Cape. Read more
Zuma said South African had "done very well" in transforming the country, but had not achieved the "dream" of economic freedom Mandela described in his first state of the nation address in 1994. Read more
Mandela's dream of economically free SA still eludes us. While Madiba has proved an impossible act for his successors to live up to, it is also true that South Africa today is a far cry from the winning nation he wants us to become. Read more
- And one of the first steps towards improving the Black Condition is for the majority to remember one of Biko's greatest teachings - that it is its own liberator. Read more
- South African youth have rated former president Nelson Mandela the greatest leader of all time, according to a survey. Read more