Arms deal submissions 'disappointing'
Public response for submissions to the Arms Procurement Commission was disappointing, according to a report.
Only eight submissions had been received by the August 1 closing date, the New Age reported.
Commission spokesman William Baloyi said: "These were all made by the real roleplayers in what has become known as the arms deal, but is officially called the strategic defence procurement package."
The submissions were from institutions, individuals, and companies, he said.
"The request to Parliament for information and documentation has also been acceded to and the commission also received information from law enforcement agencies."
The newspaper reported that the commissioners had already visited European countries in their hunt for evidence of wrongdoing.
The commission has been given two years to finalise its investigation and has the power to subpoena witnesses.
"The commission is now hard at work compiling lists of people who can assist it in its work," said Baloyi.
In November, President Jacob Zuma said he was also prepared to give evidence.
The commission was formed to investigate allegations of fraud, corruption, impropriety and irregularity in the multi-billion rand arms deal package signed in 1999.
It has dogged South Africa's politics since it was signed after the then Pan Africanist Congress MP Patricia de Lille, who is now mayor of Cape Town, officially raised allegations of corruption relating to the deal, in Parliament.