Three weeks to repatriate SA bodies from Kabul
The process of repatriating the remains of eight South Africans killed in a suicide bombing attack in Kabul, Afghanistan last week, is expected to take another three weeks, it was reported on Monday.
ACS/Balmoral spokeswoman Chantal van Wyk said the firm, where all eight worked, was working hard to expedite the process, Beeld reported.
"There is, however, an administrative process that has to be concluded in Afghanistan, and this could take another 14 days. After that it'll take another few days to transport the remains to South Africa," she said.
She declined to comment on post-mortems and DNA tests, and said these processes were in the hands of the company's representative in Afghanistan.
"We're in contact with the families every day... it's a very difficult time for them, but they're hanging in there."
Twelve people died on Tuesday when a suicide bomber drove into a minibus transporting the South Africans to the airport.