No bail for ANC politician accused of rape: ANCWL
A Limpopo politician who appeared in a Polokwane court on a charge of rape should be denied bail, the ANC Women’s League said on Thursday.
"We are deeply disappointed that an ANC politician who is fully aware of the implications of the law has been alleged to have raped a young woman," ANCWL spokeswoman Troy Martens said in a statement.
"Any kind of gender-based violence, rape or abuse will not be tolerated by society... especially if alleged to have been committed by an ANC comrade who is familiar with the Constitution and the rights of women..."
Martens said the man should be made an example of to society.
The politician appeared in the Polokwane Magistrate's Court on Wednesday on a charge of rape.
Police spokesman Brigadier Hangwani Mulaudzi identified him as a man who previously held a senior position in the Limpopo provincial government.
"According to information, he promised a 19-year-old woman a job. They agreed to meet at a specific place in Polokwane on Monday afternoon."
He allegedly took the woman to a lodge and raped her. She reported the crime and the man was arrested.
The case was postponed to October 19, when he was expected to plead and apply for bail.
The ANCWL would support the 19-year-old girl throughout the court process, it said.
"The law must take its course and justice will be served. Rape is [an] epidemic in our society and must be stamped out completely."
ANCWL members in Polokwane would protest outside court on Friday.