• All Share : 50855.09
    UNCHANGED0.00%
    Top 40 : 3821.20
    UNCHANGED0.00%
    Financial 15 : 15677.54
    UNCHANGED0.00%
    Industrial 25 : 61716.89
    UNCHANGED0.00%

  • ZAR/USD : 10.9468
    UP 0.05%
    ZAR/GBP : 17.1395
    UP 0.11%
    ZAR/EUR : 13.5843
    UP 0.04%
    ZAR/JPY : 0.0930
    UP 0.04%
    ZAR/AUD : 9.5035
    UP 0.04%

  • Gold : 1201.6100
    UP 0.04%
    Platinum : 1226.5000
    UP 0.20%
    Silver : 16.4450
    UP 0.15%
    Palladium : 792.0000
    UP 0.32%
    Brent Crude Oil : 80.360
    UNCHANGED0.00%

  • All data is delayed by 15 min. Data supplied by I-Net Bridge
    Hover cursor over this ticker to pause.

Sun Nov 23 09:21:36 CAT 2014

Marchers will take down gantries 'nicely': Cosatu

Sapa | 30 November, 2012 11:35
Traffic pours under one of the many e-toll gantries along the N1 highway. File photo.
Image by: HALDEN KROG

Toll gantries will be taken down "nicely", Cosatu's Tshwane chairman said on Friday ahead of a protest march against e-tolling.

"We are not going to destroy them. We are going to take them down nicely and give them to Sanral (SA National Roads Agency Limited)," said Johannes Clouw in Pretoria.

The "taking down" of gantries was planned for December 6, when a second march was due to take place, he said.

Earlier this week, Dumisani Dakile, provincial secretary for the Congress of SA Trade Unions, said the federation's members would demolish the toll gantries if government did not scrap the proposed system.

Speaking to Eyewitness News on Thursday morning, Dakile, however, said what he had meant was that government officials who tore down houses in Lenasia should also tear down the gantries.

The Opposition for Urban Tolling Alliance (Outa) called on all participants in the march to refrain from violence and damage to property.

"Outa... trusts these [marches] will be conducted in a most peaceful manner to demonstrate society's respect for property rights and the law," said Outa chairman Wayne Duvenage.

The High Court in Pretoria on Wednesday reserved judgment on the future of the e-tolling system, following a challenge by Outa.

Like Outa, Cosatu wants e-tolling scrapped, saying workers cannot afford it and government must prioritise efficient, affordable public transport.

Government spokesman Thabo Masebe also called on protesters to abide by the law.

"Government calls on marchers to exercise their right to protest within the ambit of the law," he said.

Pretoria residents voiced their opposition to the e-tolling project by singing, dancing, and blowing vuvuzelas ahead of the march.

People sang "An injury to one is an injury to all".

Marchers were gathered on vacant land used by taxis at the corner of Sophie de Bruyn and Johannes Ramokhoase Streets, while police kept watch.

Police closed the road around 11am when the march began.

Cosatu spokesman Norman Mampane, who was with workers gathering in Johannesburg for a march there, said: "If the government can destroy houses in Lenasia, it can demolish the gantries.

"On this day, within South Africa, no roads should be privatised."

He said the wealthy would still use the highways, but the poor would be forced to use side routes, which were poorly maintained and would become congested.

Cosatu welcomed to freeway improvement, but not "at the expense of the little people".

SHARE YOUR OPINION

If you have an opinion you would like to share on this article, please send us an e-mail to the Times LIVE iLIVE team. In the mean time, click here to view the Times LIVE iLIVE section.