Latest
 
  • All Share : 51462.42
    DOWN -0.16%
    Top 40 : 4244.84
    DOWN -0.04%
    Financial 15 : 14985.17
    DOWN -0.26%
    Industrial 25 : 60951.84
    DOWN -0.11%

  • ZAR/USD : 11.0826
    UP 0.08%
    ZAR/GBP : 18.0781
    DOWN -0.63%
    ZAR/EUR : 14.2190
    DOWN -0.58%
    ZAR/JPY : 0.1016
    DOWN -0.14%
    ZAR/AUD : 9.8935
    DOWN -0.53%

  • Gold : 1214.4900
    DOWN -0.92%
    Platinum : 1337.0000
    DOWN -0.52%
    Silver : 17.8250
    DOWN -3.78%
    Palladium : 813.0000
    DOWN -1.33%
    Brent Crude Oil : 98.010
    UP 0.32%

  • All data is delayed by 15 min. Data supplied by INET BFA
    Hover cursor over this ticker to pause.

Fri Sep 19 19:55:25 SAST 2014

De Kock blocked again - victims' families weren't consulted

Sapa | 10 July, 2014 12:36
Eugene de Kock. File photo

Eugene de Kock's parole was denied because the families of his victims were not consulted, Justice and Correctional Services Minister Michael Masutha said on Thursday.

"I am of the view that it is fair and in the interests of the victims and the broader community, that the families of the victims are afforded an opportunity to practise in the parole consideration process," he told reporters in Johannesburg.

"I have not approved parole at this stage but have directed that a further profile be re-submitted not later than 12 months from today."

Masutha said he held a meeting of the victims' families on July 4, which was arranged to confirm whether they had been consulted on the parole application.

De Kock, a former police death squad commander, approached the High Court in Pretoria for a decision in May.

Judge Thokozile Masipa gave Masutha 30 days to make a decision. The 30 days did not include weekends and holidays.

The national council for correctional services made a recommendation about De Kock's parole in November last year. The recommendation was sent to then minister S'bu Ndebele. When he failed to act, De Kock approached the high court to force him to do so.

De Kock was in charge of a police "death squad" at Vlakplaas, outside Pretoria, and was arrested in mid-1994. He was convicted and sentenced in the High Court in Pretoria in 1996.

He was sentenced to two terms of life imprisonment for six murders and to a further 212 years' imprisonment on charges including conspiracy to commit murder, culpable homicide, kidnapping, assault, and fraud.

Many of his former colleagues who committed murder under his command testified in return for indemnity from prosecution.

De Kock, nicknamed "Prime Evil", has spent two decades in prison.

Masutha went through the process of how parole works.

The minister said he had used the 30 days ordered by the court to peruse De Kock's profile along with the relevant reports from professionals and relevant bodies.

"I have considered the matter and noted the various positive reports compiled... I have noted the progress he is reported to have made," Masutha said.

He said he could not discuss De Kock's profile.

De Kock had been notified of the minister's decision before the announcement.

SHARE YOUR OPINION

If you have an opinion you would like to share on this article, please send us an e-mail to the Times LIVE iLIVE team. In the mean time, click here to view the Times LIVE iLIVE section.
Fri Sep 19 19:55:26 SAST 2014 ::