Latest
 
  • All Share : 53638.04
    UP 0.65%
    Top40 - (Tradeable) : 46788.32
    UP 0.52%
    Financial 15 : 15273.87
    UP 0.22%
    Industrial 25 : 71872.25
    UP 0.14%
    Resource 10 : 31624.94
    UP 2.62%

  • ZAR/USD : 14.3652
    UP 0.04%
    ZAR/GBP : 18.8265
    DOWN -0.01%
    ZAR/EUR : 15.7796
    UP 0.02%
    ZAR/JPY : 0.1368
    UP 1.26%
    ZAR/AUD : 10.7759
    UP 0.54%

  • Gold US$/oz : 1319.7
    UP 0.33%
    Platinum US$/oz : 1092
    UP 0.92%
    Silver US$/oz : 19.58
    UP 0.41%
    Palladium US$/oz : 686
    UP 0.29%
    Brent Crude : 44.59
    DOWN -0.13%

  • All data is delayed by 15 min. Data supplied by Profile Data
    Hover cursor over this ticker to pause.

Tue Jul 26 23:51:54 SAST 2016

Initiates death toll in last season totaled 43: Eastern Cape Premier

Genevieve Quintal | 20 February, 2016 10:02
"Clearly, we cannot allow this situation to continue like this" Premier Phumulo Masualle said. File photo
Image by: SIMPHIWE NKWALI

Out of 42,225 initiates, 43 young boys died during the last circumcision season in the Eastern Cape, Premier Phumulo Masualle said.

"It saddens us though to see families grieving the loss of their children as a result of botched circumcisions," he said in his State of the Province Address in King William's Town, according to a copy of the speech.

"Clearly, we cannot allow this situation to continue like this."

He said the provincial government would continue looking for ways of making the tradition a pleasant experience.

A number of people had been arrested.

Source: News24

SHARE YOUR OPINION

If you have an opinion you would like to share on this article, please send us an e-mail to the Times LIVE iLIVE team. In the mean time, click here to view the Times LIVE iLIVE section.