SAHRC defers hate Zulu King hate speech report
More than a year will have passed since complaints were lodged before the South African Human Rights Commission (SAHRC) will present its report into allegations of hate speech against Zulu king Goodwill Zwelithini.
The report is now expected to be released the end of April‚ and not February as previously announced‚ the watchdog said on Thursday.
This was‚ spokesperson Isaac Mangena said‚ because the “commission has been applying its mind to the submissions received” after it released a preliminary report in November to the monarch and the complainants.
These included “points of law and procedure as well as issues concerning the linguistic interpretation of words and idiomatic expressions that form the basis of this investigation”.
“…Due to the complexities involved in this matter and some of the issues raised by the parties in their submissions‚ the commission will defer the date of release of the report to the end of April‚” Mangena said.
The alleged remarks were made “at a moral regeneration event in Pongola‚ northern KwaZulu-Natal‚ on or about the 15th March 2015”‚ he said.
It was reported at the time that he told attendees: “We are requesting those who come from outside to please go back to their countries.”
Complaints were lodged against the king in April last year‚ and the SAHRC is investigating a total of 31.
Some complainants claimed that the king’s remarks led to an uptick in violence against foreigners during last year’s spate of xenophobic attacks.