Panayiotou murder trial to resume in April
The Panayiotou murder trial will resume in April‚ after eight weeks of gruelling testimony came to an end on Thursday morning.
Judge Dayalin Chetty told the Port Elizabeth High Court that time had run out.
Trial has now been set down for April 19 to May 5‚ and then June 12 to June 30.
In the meantime‚ a bail application is scheduled to take place for alleged co-conspirator Zolani Sibeko in the high court next Tuesday.
Talks are also still under way for murder accused Christopher Panayiotou to try his hand at bail once more.
Panayiotou is accused of orchestrating the murder of his wife‚ Jayde‚ by hiring hitmen to kidnap and shoot her on April 21 last year.
On Wednesday‚ defence advocate Terry Price SC failed in his bid to obtain permission from the court to consult with some of the state’s witnesses in the interim.
He wanted state advocate Marius Stander to give an undertaking as to whether or not he still intended on calling witnesses such as Panayiotou’s mistress‚ Chanelle Coutts‚ and Panayiotou’s accountant‚ or to allow the defence an opportunity to consult with them.
Stander said his next move could only be established after the trial-within-a-trial on the admissibility of a sting recording was finalised‚ and that it was dependent on Chetty’s finding.
-TMG Digital/The Herald