Initiates death toll in last season totaled 43: Eastern Cape Premier - Times LIVE
   
Latest
Thu Apr 27 11:04:47 SAST 2017

Initiates death toll in last season totaled 43: Eastern Cape Premier

Genevieve Quintal | 2016-02-20 10:02:29.0
Ndebele initiates running and jumping the fire as part of the ritual during their home coming celebrations on July 10, 2013 at Wolwenkop in Mpumalanga, South Africa.
"Clearly, we cannot allow this situation to continue like this" Premier Phumulo Masualle said. File photo
Image by: SIMPHIWE NKWALI

Out of 42,225 initiates, 43 young boys died during the last circumcision season in the Eastern Cape, Premier Phumulo Masualle said.

"It saddens us though to see families grieving the loss of their children as a result of botched circumcisions," he said in his State of the Province Address in King William's Town, according to a copy of the speech.

"Clearly, we cannot allow this situation to continue like this."

He said the provincial government would continue looking for ways of making the tradition a pleasant experience.

A number of people had been arrested.

Source: News24

SHARE YOUR OPINION

If you have an opinion you would like to share on this article, please send us an e-mail to the Times LIVE iLIVE team. In the mean time, click here to view the Times LIVE iLIVE section.
X