Got business in Cape Town today? Expect to struggle as Metrorail struggles to transport workers
Cape Town companies can expect employees to be late arriving at work today as the city rail network can only provide a partial service with severe delays as it tries to restore service after weekend vandalism.
After two days of no service‚ Metrorail advised this morning: "A limited train service will operate on the region with anticipated major delays of 60+ minutes due to post weekend Transnet signalling system vandalised."
Commuters from all over the city have been sharing their frustration.
"Train is not going‚ we have been sitting here for almost an hour and nothing is happening. We are late for work and at the end all they say use own alternative transport and where are we suppose to get the money because we buy monthly tickets‚" Sfundo Mpungosir posted on the GoMetro app.
From the Northern line‚ a commuter shared‚ "It is a no show: There is currently no transport at this stop" while a traveller waiting on the Cape Flats line asked‚ "It is a no show: Anybody know when a train will leave Cape Town to Mutual shuttle service?"
Metrorail Western Cape said it had tried to make various arrangements to assist commuters‚ include deploying buses.
Various advisories stated:
- A train shuttle service will operate between Cape Town and Plumstead and another shuttle will operate between Plumstead and Simon's Town.
- A train shuttle service will operate between Heathfield and Maitland. At Maitland passengers will connect with the Northern line shuttle that operates between Mutual and Cape Town.
- A train shuttle will also operate from Cape Town to Mutual. All Wellington‚ Muldersvlei and Strand trains will operate via Ysterplaat to Mutual.
- All Eerste River‚ Kraaifontein‚ and Business Express trans will operate via Monte Vista. The Malmesbury and Worcester trains will operate via Monte Vista.
- All trains on the Central line (Chris Hani‚ Kapteinsklip and Lavistown) will operate via Langa to Mutual. Kapteinsklip passengers traveling between Langa and Cape Town via Salt River can utilize the Northern shuttle upon arrival in Cape Town and the connect with the Cape Flats line shuttle at Maitland to travel to Ndabeni and Pinelands.