ANC faces R19m lawsuit: report
The ANC has been threatened with a R19 million lawsuit after allegedly failing to pay an advertising company, according to a report.
Sunday World says according to court documents filed by Blue Print Strategic Marketing at the High Court in Johannesburg, the company rendered services to the African National Congress during the local government election last year.
ANC secretary general Gwede Mantashe and treasurer Mathews Phosa are reportedly cited as respondents in the court papers.
Blue Print is demanding payment of its services with an additional 15.5 percent in interest.
An agreement between the ANC and the company was signed on January 27 last year in which the ANC agreed to pay 30 days after receiving an invoice.
Blue Print's lawyers sent letters of demand to the ANC in September and again in March.
"In an attempt to assist the respondents and in the spirit of goodwill and trust, the agency advised the respondents of its intention to proceed with a court application," it reportedly said in the court papers.
The ANC had been given until the end of May to pay, but had failed to do so.
The ANC was not immediately available for comment.
ANC spokesman Ishmael Mnisi declined to comment to the newspaper.
"That matter [of the payment] remains within the confines of the two parties," he said.