Minister rejects report on SAA funding
Public Enterprise Minister Malusi Gigaba has rejected reports that SA Airways would no longer be receiving funding from government.
"What the minister said was that the state-owned airline cannot continue requesting funding without presenting a long term plan, which is implemented and yields SAA's stronger financial viability," said Gigaba's spokesman Mayihlome Tshwete on Wednesday.
Earlier, the Business Day newspaper reported that Gigaba had ruled out further financial support for SAA until the airline came up with a long-term strategic plan.
The newspaper reported that Gigaba told the Cape Town Press Club government had not yet taken a decision on SAA's request earlier this year for a cash injection of R4 billion to R6bn to recapitalise the carrier.
Tshwete said Gigaba was answering a question regarding the type of support the department would provide to SAA.
"The minister repeated his view that SAA is a strategic asset for the state and added that there is a need for the national carrier to have a long term vision.
"What has been referred to in the media as the minister not supporting funding for SAA is inaccurate," Tshwete said.