Eastern Cape ANC to discipline members
The ANC in the Eastern Cape has received the go-ahead to proceed with disciplinary proceedings against members who stormed the provincial headquarters earlier this year.
The party's national disciplinary committee of appeals (NDCA) chairman Cyril Ramaphosa said the committee received an application from the provincial disciplinary committee (PDC).
"The application was a request to the NDCA to authorise the Eastern Cape PDC to continue with the disciplinary action against the ANC members who had allegedly participated in the storming of Canon Calata House and the assault of some provincial ANC officials on the 16 February 2011," Ramaphosa said in a statement.
The NDCA sat on September 8 to consider the application and also invited the African National Congress members who were charged to oppose the application if they wanted to.
"The NDCA deliberated on the matter after receiving the different submissions and has come to the conclusion that the application has sufficient merit to warrant the extension of the six-month clause contained in Rule 25.10 [of the party's constitution]," said Ramaphosa.
The members charged assaulted ANC provincial secretary Oscar Mabuyane and a police officer, and damaged ANC property at the headquarters earlier this year.
This was while Mabuyane was listening to the OR Tambo region's community appeals and objections to the local government elections list process.