ANC unbans reporter after apology for 'pantypreneurs' comment
The ANC says it has met with freelance journalist Carien du Plessis over a tweet she sent about "pantypreneurs and tenderpreneurs" at the party’s 104th anniversary celebration and resolved to allow her to attend the rally.
"The ANC has been in contact with Carien to discuss her tweet... she expressed to us her commitment to non-racialism and unfortunately a very genuine mistake was made," spokesperson Zizi Kodwa said.
"We accepted that and her commitment to non-racialism."
Kodwa said the ANC had withdrawn its decision to bar her from attending the party’s 104th anniversary celebration in Rustenburg.
On Thursday, Du Plessis took a photo of the News Cafe in Rustenburg with the caption, "Seems Rusty News Cafe will be a choice hangout for pantypreneurs and tenderpreneurs at this weekend's #ANC104 bash".
The term "pantypreneur" is believed to be an insulting reference to women who use sex to gain favour with the political elite.
She apologised after receiving criticism on the social networking site for her comment.
Du Plessis was in Rustenburg covering the ANC's January 8th statement as a freelancer for the Mail & Guardian.
M&G editor Verashni Pillay said previously the newspaper would contact the political party to discuss its decision to bar Du Plessis.
Kodwa earlier accused Du Plessis of being a racist because the majority of people who attended ANC events were black.