Latest
 
  • All Share : 53436.91
    DOWN -0.13%
    Top40 - (Tradeable) : 46804.74
    UNCHANGED0.00%
    Financial 15 : 14804.33
    DOWN -1.08%
    Industrial 25 : 71778.46
    UP 0.45%
    Resource 10 : 32440.47
    DOWN -0.69%

  • ZAR/USD : 14.4444
    UP 0.83%
    ZAR/GBP : 18.8699
    UP 0.21%
    ZAR/EUR : 16.1393
    UP 0.36%
    ZAR/JPY : 0.1408
    UP 0.14%
    ZAR/AUD : 10.929
    UP 1.09%

  • Gold US$/oz : 1320.7
    UP 0.02%
    Platinum US$/oz : 1074
    UP 0.19%
    Silver US$/oz : 18.61
    DOWN -0.21%
    Palladium US$/oz : 688
    UP 0.29%
    Brent Crude : 49.15
    DOWN -1.54%

  • All data is delayed by 15 min. Data supplied by Profile Data
    Hover cursor over this ticker to pause.

Mon Aug 29 16:27:23 SAST 2016

DA says Eskom charges are a PR stunt

TMG Digital | 22 January, 2016 12:34
Eskom's National Grid Pylons carrying SA's electricity buzz & hum at sunset outside Koeberg Nuclear Power Station. File photo.
Image by: ESA ALEXANDER /©SUNDAY TIMES

The Democratic Alliance (DA) on Friday described as “frivolous” the case opened against it by Eskom following its submission of a petition at at Megawatt Park this week.

Eskom on Thursday said it laid a criminal charge against the party for contravening the Regulation of Gatherings Act 205 of 1993‚ and is planning to lay another charge for alleged fraud‚ claiming some of the signatories of a petition it presented to the electricity supplier are not “authentic”.

Natasha Mazzone‚ who led the march‚ said “the DA’s legal team will robustly fight these charges in court”.

“This is nothing more than a PR stunt by Eskom to discredit our petition and detract from the real issues – the continued failure of the entity to provide a stable electricity supply for all South Africans‚” she said.

“The DA will not allow these baseless allegations and bullying tactics to deter us from holding Eskom to account for its gross mismanagement and the untold damage it has done to the economy through years of load-shedding.”

“Eskom should rather spend their time and effort on solving the electricity crisis instead of trying to challenge a legitimate petition supported by almost 77000 South Africans.”

Mazzone has previously said that the DA contingent had made prior arrangements to hand over the petition‚ and were granted access to Megawatt Park unchallenged after announcing its presence.

Public Enterprises Minister Lynne Brown accused the supporters of using the access card of a “DA sympathiser” to get into Megawatt Park’s reception area.

SHARE YOUR OPINION

If you have an opinion you would like to share on this article, please send us an e-mail to the Times LIVE iLIVE team. In the mean time, click here to view the Times LIVE iLIVE section.