KZN ANC quashes rumours of cabinet reshuffle - Times LIVE
   
Latest
Fri Dec 09 19:21:01 SAST 2016

KZN ANC quashes rumours of cabinet reshuffle

Amanda Khoza and Genevieve Quintal | 2016-03-02 19:41:28.0
Mchunu refused to entertain the rumours. During a media briefing after the State of the Province Address last week, he was asked to respond to calls of a cabinet reshuffle. File photo
Image by: Tebogo Letsie

The ANC in KwaZulu-Natal on Wednesday quashed rumours that Premier Senzo Mchunu was going to be recalled and that there was a looming cabinet reshuffle in the province.

Talk that Wednesday was Mchunu’s last day sent the rumour mill spinning.

Addressing the media at the ANC's offices in Durban, provincial secretary, Super Zuma, said he did not know the origin of the rumour.

“During elections time we normally do assessments of councillors and public representatives. We are now in the process of assessing our provincial departments – maybe that is what sparked the rumours," he said.

He said a reshuffle wasn't on the cards. “We do not know where those rumours come from because we have never taken any decision in the ANC about any reshuffle.”

A rumour that Mchunu would be recalled was highlighted in the lead up to the party's provincial conference, which saw former provincial secretary, Sihle Zikalala, ascend to the position of provincial chairperson.

Those in Mchunu’s faction challenged the outcome of the conference. 

Letter asked for Mchunu recall

Mchunu refused to entertain the rumours. During a media briefing after the State of the Province Address last week, he was asked to respond to calls of a cabinet reshuffle.

At the time he said, “The ANC both national and provincial handle those matters. For us at this stage is to focus on our work.”

It is understood a letter was sent to the ANC's national executive committee asking that Mchunu be recalled and replaced with Zikalala but it is believed that the NEC told the province its request was premature.

When contacted about the request, ANC secretary general Gwede Mantashe first wanted to know who provided information about the alleged letter.

Mantashe has in the past said he would not comment on information from unnamed sources.

It was also understood that more than half of the eThekwini Municipality's councillors had threatened to stand as independent candidates in the local government elections should there be a cabinet reshuffle.

Source News 24

SHARE YOUR OPINION

If you have an opinion you would like to share on this article, please send us an e-mail to the Times LIVE iLIVE team. In the mean time, click here to view the Times LIVE iLIVE section.
X