Pravin Gordhan needs to tell truth about his deputy‚ says DA
Finance Minister Pravin Gordhan must now step in and “clean up the mess” created by the Deputy Minister of Finance‚ Mcebisi Jonas‚ over reports that he attended a meeting with Atul Gupta‚ Ajay Gupta and Duduzane Zuma‚ two weeks prior to the former Minister of Finance‚ Nhlanhla Nene‚ being fired‚ the Democratic Alliance says.
DA spokesman on finance David Maynier said the Deputy Minister reportedly:
• met Atul Gupta‚ Ajay Gupta and Duduzane Zuma at a hotel in Sandton on 27 November 2015 which was arranged by an unnamed businessperson; and
• was offered the position of Finance Minister provided he supported the nuclear build programme and purged senior officials at National Treasury.
“However‚ the Deputy Minister reportedly did the right thing and left the meeting telling participants: ‘you don’t run the country’‚ Maynier stated. “We do not know whether the story is true but the fact that the Deputy Minister has refused to confirm or deny the reports creates the impression that the reports are true‚” he added. “That is why the Minister of Finance‚ Pravin Gordon‚ must now step in and clean up the mess created by the Deputy Minister’s refusal to comment. “We need the Minister to determine the facts and make a public statement clarifying:
• whether the Deputy Minister met with Atul Gupta‚ Ajay Gupta and Duduzane Zuma at a hotel in Sandton on or about 27 November 2015;
• whether Deputy Minister was offered the position of Finance Minister provided he supported the Nuclear Build Programme and purged some senior officials at National Treasury; and
• whether the Deputy Minister reported the meeting to any person.
“The Deputy Minister’s zigzagging has created the impression that the reports are true. That is why we need the Minister to tell us the truth and give us the assurance that National Treasury is ‘Gupta-proof’‚” Maynier stated.