ANC doesn’t outsource cabinet job recruitment: Kodwa
The ruling party on Wednesday said it views the allegations of “inappropriate and undue influence by the Gupta family over the appointment of members of the cabinet…in an extremely serious light”.
This issue is expected to be discussed at the African National Congress' (ANC) “upcoming meeting of the National Executive Committee…so as to reaffirm the authority of the organisation and restore the confidence of our people”.
Spokesperson Zizi Kodwa said recent media reports had “the potential to erode and undermine the authority of the (African National Congress ANC)‚ as the governing party” and President Jacob Zuma.
Kodwa said the Constitution gave Zuma the authority to appoint “ministers‚ to assign them responsibilities and to dismiss them”‚ and “in line with the ANC's unwavering commitment to collective leadership‚ this is a prerogative that the president exercises in consultation with the national officials” of the ANC and its alliance partners.
He said that “any persons or bodies purported to be ‘offering’ cabinet positions… do not carry nor represent the mandate of the ANC” and they had “absolutely no authority to effect such offers”.
“The organisation does not and shall not outsource this function to any members of the public‚ regardless on whose authority they may claim to be acting‚” said Kodwa.
On Tuesday‚ the Presidency issued a denial of claims “on social media by former ANC member of Parliament Vytjie Mentor” that she was offered the job of public enterprises minister by members of the Gupta family at their Saxonworld home‚ while Zuma was in the next room.
Claims that the Guptas offered the finance minister post to deputy finance Mcebisi Jonas last year have also garnered headlines in the last week.