Johannesburg's Mayoral candidates
The contest for control of the City of Johannesburg is heating up. 18 political parties are putting up candidates in the Johannesburg metropolitan. Times LIVE profiles the line up of Mayoral candidates for the city of Johannesburg to see who they are and what they are promising the Johannesburg electorate.
The Candidate: Mmusi Maimane
Mmusi Maimane is the DA's mayoral candidate for the City of Johannesburg. He is a business consultant and trainer with a number of firms in South Africa and internationally. Currently lectures at the GIBS. He holds a masters degree in theology, and is studying towards his second masters degree in public administration.
To create an inclusive Johannesburg through:
- Delegating as much authority as possible to the city’s sub-councils, which they believe will allow them to “deal with the most basic services” more efficiently,
- To allow for community involvement the DA plans to open mayoral committee meetings to the public, and
- Establishing an 0861 number to encourage interaction between the public and the city.
Freedom Front Plus
The Candidate: Franco de Lange
Councilor and Chief Whip for the FF Plus Johannesburg Metro (2006-2011)
The theme for the FF+ for the Local Government Elections is to “ Get Influence for Better Services”.
With their influence they plan to:
- Vigorously address poor service delivery in Johannesburg,
- Commit themselves to a fair dispensation for everyone, It does not only apply to the majority, but also to minority groups, and
- Decentralise the Johannesburg Metro.
Inkatha Freedom Party
The Candidate: Mzwabanzi Ntuli
IFP Deputy provincial Secretary , Media Liason for the IFP provincial and Campaign coordinator in the province and Ward councillor of Ward 61.Ntuli is number one on the party list as the mayoral candidate and is parading as the face of the party until post election.
For the IFP the Priority is to fix the administration within the city. It also plans to hold councillors accountable for their ward. “Councillors will reside in the ward they serve”
“As IFP, there are no empty promises that is why our slogan is 'it is about you'”
The Candidate: Stanley Sithosigotyana
Stanley is the Azapo Secretary for Local Government and Housing. He is number one on the party list but the party believes that the mayor should be chosen by the people. Consequently, If AZAPO wins the elections they plan to host another election where the Johannesburg electorate will elect the Mayor.
If AZAPO is elected it promises to:
• Work together with the community -“Political decisions must be taken by the people”,
• Give Civil education on the role of the ward councillor and the municipality,
• Fighting corruption within the municipality, and
• AZAPO calls for the abolishment of Provincial government this will result in more power, more resources in the municipality.
The Candidate: Name withheld by ANC
The ANC has withheld the name of Mayoral candidate for the City of Johannesburg until after the election.
"Our track record in Johannesburg shows that we are serious about uniting a divided city, improving the lives of our people and building prosperity". This will be achieved by:
- Confronting the global issue of climate change,
- Developing an integrated, safe, affordable and accessible public transport system,
- Creating decent jobs and a buoyant economy, and
- Giving citizens a much greater say in determining the priorities of the municipality and working with people to build better communities in all areas of Johannesburg.