• All Share : 49386.71
    UNCHANGED0.00%
    Top 40 : 3488.52
    UNCHANGED0.00%
    Financial 15 : 15386.63
    UNCHANGED0.00%
    Industrial 25 : 61813.16
    UNCHANGED0.00%

  • ZAR/USD : 11.5850
    UP 0.13%
    ZAR/GBP : 18.0970
    UP 0.37%
    ZAR/EUR : 14.1529
    UP 0.04%
    ZAR/JPY : 0.0968
    UP 0.04%
    ZAR/AUD : 9.4303
    UP 0.04%

  • Gold : 1195.8700
    UP 0.04%
    Platinum : 1197.5000
    UP 0.29%
    Silver : 16.1050
    UP 0.16%
    Palladium : 807.0000
    UP 0.31%
    Brent Crude Oil : 61.380
    UNCHANGED0.00%

  • All data is delayed by 15 min. Data supplied by I-Net Bridge
    Hover cursor over this ticker to pause.

Sun Dec 21 08:48:40 SAST 2014

Murdoch papers set to lose Olympics deal

Rob Harris, Sapa-AP | 21 July, 2011 14:50
Vanity Fair parody of New York Post front page shows News Corp Chairman Rupert Murdoch covered in shaving foam
A parody version of a fictional New York Post front page created by the online version of Vanity Fair shows News Corp Chairman Rupert Murdoch covered in shaving foam in this handout image from Vanity Fair released July 20, 2011
Image by: HO / Reuters

Rupert Murdoch’s British newspapers are set to lose exclusive access to British athletes ahead of the 2012 London Olympics after the phone hacking scandal that led to the News of the World’s closure.

Team 2012, an initiative supporting British Olympians, had signed up News International as its official partner to help raise funds for athletes.

But the British branch of Murdoch’s media empire can no longer meet its Team 2012 contractual obligations after the 168-year-old Sunday tabloid News of the World was closed in an attempt to defuse  the uproar over illegal journalism practices.

With Team 2012 now looking for new media partnerships, News International’s remaining publications — The Sun, The Times and The  Sunday Times — are unlikely to be able to retain the “Official Newspaper of Team 2012” slogan.

“The Team 2012 joint venture, including Visa as its presenting partner, has had a contract with the News International Group as its official media partner,” Team 2012 said in a statement. “As a result of the closure of News of the World the contract can no longer be fulfilled as originally envisaged ... to help drive national support for Team 2012 we are now exploring media partnerships across a range of channels.”  

Team 2012 has so far raised almost two thirds of its 25-million pound ($40.4 million) fundraising target, providing funds for the British Olympic Association and UK Sport to invest.

“(We) are working to make sure that we continue to give the 1,200-plus athletes from Team 2012 Visa the best chance of achieving success by competing for Team GB and Paralympics GB at London 2012,” the Team 2012 statement said.

The long-simmering phone hacking scandal exploded earlier this month when it emerged that News of the World had intercepted — and deleted — the voicemail messages of Milly Dowler, a 13-year-old who  was kidnapped in 2002 and later found murdered.

The phones of celebrities, royal aides, politicians and top athletes are also alleged to have been hacked by the paper, which sold around 2.6 million copies each week.

SHARE YOUR OPINION

If you have an opinion you would like to share on this article, please send us an e-mail to the Times LIVE iLIVE team. In the mean time, click here to view the Times LIVE iLIVE section.