Eskom said on Wednesday that it has received interest from 27 companies who will submit information on their capabilities to build the proposed next generation of South African nuclear power plants.
The power utility said among those who will respond to its Request for Information (RFI) are China’s SNPTC‚ France’s EdF Energy‚ Russia’s Rusatom Overseas and South Korea’s KEPCO.
Eskom’s interim group chief executive‚ Matshela Koko‚ stated: “Eskom is looking forward to the information supplied to confirm our understanding of the key issues that impact the timing and affordability of a nuclear programme.”
The company indicated in its statement that the submissions did not commit any of the companies to submit a response to a potential future Request for Proposal.
Eskom issued the request for information in December 20 and asked companies that felt they could provide relevant information to confirm by 10.30am on Tuesday‚ January 31. The 27 companies will submit a response to Eskom on April 28.
The statement on the request for information comes as Eskom dismissed a claim last month that it managed to “usurp” the nuclear procurement from the Department of Energy.
The claims were made in an affidavit made by Earthlife Africa’s Johannesburg branch co-ordinator‚ Makoma Lekalakala which was submitted to the Western Cape High Court.
The affidavit was made in support of the case brought by the anti-nuclear lobby group and the Southern African Faith Communities Environment Institute (Safcei) to have certain determinations made by Energy Minister Tina Joemat-Pettersson declared unlawful and unconstitutional‚ one of those being‚ the 2016 determination designating Eskom as the procurer of 9‚600MW from new nuclear energy plants.
But the Department of Energy indicated in its Integrated Resource Plan (IRP) last year that only 1‚359 megawatt of nuclear power would be added to the country’s energy mix by 2037 instead of the previous 2‚023 and that renewable energy would form a large part of the energy mix.
- TMG Digital/BusinessLIVE