Warming comfort food: easy beef stew
Heat olive oil into a heavy-based saucepan and saute onion, garlic, celery, thyme and carrots until onions are soft and translucent and vegetables are just beginning to soften.
- 2 tbsp (30ml) olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 celery sticks, finely sliced
- 2 springs thyme
- 2 carrots cut into bite size portions
- 800g beef chuck steak, cubed
- 1 tbsp (15ml) flour
- 1 tin tomatoes
- 300ml beef stock/stout/red wine
- 4 potatoes, quartered
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Handful of parsley, roughly chopped
- Steamed rice, to serve
Add cubed beef and flour and sear until meat is well-browned.
Pour in tinned tomatoes and stock, season with salt and pepper and cover with a lid.
Simmer gently over a low heat for about two hours, or until meat is soft and tender.
Add potatoes and cook for a further 20 to 30 minutes or until potatoes are cooked.
Check seasoning and garnish with freshly chopped parsley. Serve with steamed rice and seasonal vegetables.