It's war on school crisis
The Department of Basic Education will set up "military-style" study camps for Limpopo pupils as part of a plan to make up for the study time lost because of its failure to deliver textbooks.
But the department said this assistance would be given only to Limpopo schools classified as "struggling".
The department would scrutinise June assessment results to identify the schools.
Department spokesman Panyaza Lesufi yesterday said the camps will be set up in September and run until November.
"This is not something new. It is already happening in Gauteng and it was set up for Khutsong learners [in 2007] when schooling was disrupted by protests," he said.
Lesufi said particular attention would be paid to Grade 10 pupils.
Lesufi said he could not say how many camps there would be or where they would be situated because the department was still making plans.
He said the department would print 61million copies of catch-up material, such as study guides, for when the schools re-open.
"We are also considering getting teachers to put in extra teaching time ... but we are still in discussions with teacher unions ... because they want remuneration for this," he said.
Education expert Professor Graeme Bloch said classes will have to be extended to weekends.
The department was ordered by the Pretoria High Court in May to provide Limpopo pupils with textbooks by June 15 following an application by human rights group Section 27. After the first deadline expired, the department met Section 27 and another deadline was set - Wednesday last week. That deadline was also not met.
Section 27 yesterday said that before returning to court it would work with the department to ensure that all pupils received their textbooks.
Spokesman Nikki Stein said: "The department has appointed an independent person to verify textbook delivery because it seemed [it] was not getting accurate information."
Stein said Section 27 would resume litigation if its relationship with the department broke down.