Youth league accuses Cape ANC leaders of sabotage
Leaders of the largest ANC Youth League region in the Western Cape say members of the ANC's provincial executive committee were responsible for two of their failed provincial conferences.
The youth league in the province last had an elected leadership in 2010.
The league's Dullah Omar region chairman Khaya Yozi said yesterday a conference was only likely to be held sometime next year.
"Some of the provincial leaders continue to divide the youth league; that's why the two attempts at [holding a] conference have been unsuccessful. They told people who to vote for and sowed disunity," said Yozi.
In April, the league's Western Cape conference was called off after complaints that "ghost branches" were represented at the meeting.
Youth league regional secretary Mfuzo Zenzile said 13 ghost branches had been uncovered during an audit.
But ANC provincial secretary Songezo Mjongile dismissed the claims.
"It's not the ANC which caused the conference not to quorate. It's a distortion of the facts, it was a failure of the youth league branches," said Mjongile, adding that the provincial executive was only trying to help the youth league.
On the ANC's concluded policy conference, Yozi said those who opposed the youth league's call for nationalisation of strategic assets have been "co-opted".
"In Mangaung we will be able to remove them," said Yozi.
The youth league also announced plans to hold a march against Western Cape premier Helen Zille's administration on July 27, saying the DA was running the province as a "separate island" and also because of plans to close 27 schools in the province .