JAPANESE midfielder Shinji Kagawa yesterday left his home country for Britain to join Manchester United, vowing to secure a starting slot when the English Premier League season kicks off in August.
"It is a big challenge for me. I have nothing but a positive mind now," the 23-year-old said ahead of his departure on a flight from Osaka.
"I want to fight with confidence," he added.
Kagawa is set to feature in United's pre-season tour of South Africa and China. - Sapa-AFP
Martin quits race
WORLD time trial champion Tony Martin has quit the Tour de France in order to let a broken bone in his wrist heal in time for the London Olympics.
The German suffered the fracture in a crash on the first stage of the three-week race but rode on with a special cast before finishing 12th in Monday's ninth stage time trial.
"It's difficult for me to step out of the Tour, but it's the right thing to do now and I know that even the guys (his teammates) will understand," he said. - Reuters
All eyes on Drogba
DIDIER Drogba will arrive in China on Saturday to take up his new role at Shanghai Shenhua, amid high hopes he can re-ignite the 13th-placed team's season. Drogba announced last month he had signed with the big-spending Chinese soccer club until 2014, joining his former Chelsea teammate Nicolas Anelka, who started with the team in January. - Sapa-AFP
Carroll up for grabs
NEW Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers has admitted that striker Andy Carroll could go out on loan to another club.
The Daily Telegraph quoted Rodgers as saying that though no offers have been received for the 23-year-old England striker, it was always an option.
"It's something I would have to look at, I have to be honest," Rodgers said.
"I'm not going to sit here and say I will never let anyone go on loan, then come in here in two weeks and a player's gone, and you're saying: 'You said you wouldn't let them go'." - Sapa-dpa
Webber to stay on
AUSTRALIAN Mark Webber will stay at Red Bull next season after agreeing on a one-year contract extension.
The announcement means the 35-year-old, who is currently second in the championship standings behind Ferrari's Fernando Alonso, will again partner double world champion Sebastian Vettel for a fifth successive season.
It also ends speculation about a possible move to Ferrari. - Reuters