SA mops up after storms
As thousands of South Africans begin picking up the pieces after the devastating storms that struck large portions of the country, authorities are beginning to count the cost.
The strong gale-force winds that swept the east coast this weekend forced authorities to shut down Durban's container terminal.
The shutdown has led to a series of backlogs in the loading and off-loading of ships docking at the terminal.
Cape Town deputy mayor Ian Nielson said last week that, since June 26, almost 32700 flood victims received social relief valued at more than R1.4-million. The city's Disaster Risk Management Centre has issued 16700 blankets, 28500 meals and 1450 flood kits to flood-affected residents.
Transnet Port Terminals manager Hector Danisa said the Durban Container Terminal was closed when winds exceeded the 72.4km/h safety limit.
"The strong winds made it unsafe to continue operating port equipment such as ship-to-shore cranes, straddle carriers and rubber-tyred gantry cranes.
"The container terminal lost several hours of operation on Saturday and Sunday. This has resulted in delays to vessels using the terminal. We are working through the backlog."
Danisa said the total cost of the backlog and the impact it had was not yet known.