Mandela candles on UK peaks
Millions of people around the world are celebrating Madiba's birthday in the most creative ways.
From concerts to charity work, young and old are saying: "Happy birthday, Madiba" in ways that will also bring joy to others.
- South African Mark Beacon will climb the three highest peaks in the UK to celebrate Madiba's 94th.
At the top of Ben Nevis, Snowdon and Scafell Pike he will light candles on a birthday cake for the icon.
- Hip-hop artist PRO, along with Real Amplified Publicity, is running a project called "Feed a Kid, Cheer A Kid" in Saxonwold, Johannesburg.
- 5fm DJ Fresh - together with former US president Bill Clinton's daughter, Chelsea - planted a tree in Qunu, Mandela's home village, in Eastern Cape, yesterday.
- New York will host its first International Mandela Day concert at Madison Square Garden.
Those taking part in the concert include soul legend Aretha Franklin, Wyclef Jean and Queen Latifah. Charities that will benefit from the concert are the 46664 Foundation and the Clinton Global Initiative.
- DJ and Idols judge Gareth Cliff - an ambassador for Headway (an organisation that supports people with head or brain injuries) - will be giving a talk to Soweto youngsters.
- King of kwaito Arthur Mafokate, and musician Chomee, will help clean up communities, feed orphans and give away books to children in the Free State. Chomee will also be giving away five school bursaries.