Zuma parolee's violent history
An habitual criminal, accused of raping a 94-year-old Swayimane great-grandmother, yesterday described himself as "a person who is not afraid of anyone or anything".
The suspect's criminal record was read out during his bail application at the New Hanover Magistrate's Court yesterday .
He was released from prison under President Jacob Zuma's special remission programme. He had been jailed several times but insisted that he had only two previous convictions.
In 2006, he was given a three-year suspended sentence for housebreaking. In December 2007, he was arrested for housebreaking and released on parole.
He was arrested for another housebreaking but failed to appear in court and was re-arrested and charged with contempt of court.
He was arrested seven other times in connection with various offences, and repeatedly gave the police false names and dates of birth.
On February 14 , he was sentenced to six months' imprisonment for theft but was released on parole.
He was rearrested on March 31 for housebreaking. He was again released on parole.
Days after his release, he allegedly tried to rape a 49-year-old woman after dragging her into the bush and stole her cellphone.
Eleven days later, the man allegedly forced his way into a 94-year-old woman's dilapidated rondavel and raped her in front of her two great-grandsons, aged 10 and five.
The suspects was yesterday asked how he would plead, and he told the court he would deny the charge.
Magistrate Virushka Jamunan told the packed courtroom the suspects had failed to convince the court that he deserved bail.
"The charges against you are serious and the government, like all South Africans, is concerned about crimes against women and children, the section of our society classified as vulnerable.
"The fact that you are facing a charge of rape against a 94-year-old, and the witness in the case is a 10-year-old ... to me, these are extremes," Jamunan said.
Investigating officer Brigadier Clifford Marion earlier told the court that the suspects allegedly committed the crimes a few days after he was released on parole.
He said the man could be linked to other cases being investigated.
"He will certainly evade justice as he had done it before and the trial will probably not take place.
"I had visited the community of Swayimane and they are outraged.
"Clearly, if he is granted bail, he will not be safe.
"But also we must consider the safety of victims. They are likely to be intimidated or be reluctant to give evidence, knowing that the suspect is out.
"Over and above that, his own family and relatives have disowned him," Marion said.
He said the investigation was complete, though DNA results were outstanding.
"I have also been informed by the parole board that he has violated his parole conditions."
The man was denied bail and the case was postponed to August 28.