• All Share : 53285.6013
    UP 0.75%
    Top40 - (Tradeable) : 47105.8721
    UP 0.77%
    Financial 15 : 16997.5506
    UP 1.71%
    Industrial 25 : 67016.3555
    UP 1.11%
    Resource 10 : 43850.6887
    DOWN -1.21%

  • ZAR/USD : 11.8174
    DOWN -0.18%
    ZAR/GBP : 17.9767
    DOWN -0.16%
    ZAR/EUR : 13.0242
    DOWN -0.25%
    ZAR/JPY : 0.098
    DOWN -0.10%
    ZAR/AUD : 9.2081

  • Gold US$/oz : 1198.57
    Platinum US$/oz : 1179.75
    Silver US$/oz : 16.22
    Palladium US$/oz : 826.57
    Brent Crude : 60.68

  • All data is delayed by 15 min. Data supplied by Profile Data
    Hover cursor over this ticker to pause.

Fri Mar 06 04:21:19 CAT 2015

Tina back in hospital as assault trial begins

NIVASHNI NAIR | 21 September, 2012 00:01
Tina Mbili, who spent several days in hospital after being brutally assaulted, being interviewed at her home yesterday Picture: THULI DLAMINI

Tina Mbili, the 21-year-old Durban mother who was savagely assaulted almost a month ago, has been readmitted to hospital.

Mbili is being treated for post- traumatic stress and requires a blood transfusion due to the injuries sustained in the brutal attack.

She is also undergoing physical therapy as she is rapidly losing mobility in her right arm and leg.

Her ex-lover and the father of her 22-month-old daughter, Michael Padayachee, is accused of "striking [Mbili] with clenched fists, kicking and throttling" her until she lost consciousness at a park in Phoenix, north of Durban, on August 24.

He has been charged with Mbili's attempted murder and is currently applying for bail in the Phoenix Magistrate's Court.

Court proceedings were yesterday halted when prosecutor Thando Matshayana raised concerns over the accuracy of the interpretation from English to Zulu.

She explained that the questions put to the investigating officer, warrant officer Petros Mthembu, were not accurately interpreted.

Magistrate Lee Bonhomme thereafter stood the matter down to contact the interpreter's supervisor to establish her competence.

On resumption, he explained that he was unable to contact the supervisor and it was therefore in the interest of justice that the bail application would have to be adjourned for a new interpreter. The application will resume today.


If you have an opinion you would like to share on this article, please send us an e-mail to the Times LIVE iLIVE team. In the mean time, click here to view the Times LIVE iLIVE section.