How to make vegetable tempura
- cup (125ml) cornflour
- cup (125ml) rice flour
- tsp (2.5ml) bicarbonate of soda
- Pinch of salt
- cup (125ml) sparkling water, chilled
- 50g carrots, thinly shaven with a vegetable peeler
- 50g mange tout
- 50g baby corn, halved
- 1 onion, sliced thinly into rings
- 50g tat soi
- 50g courgettes, thinly sliced
- Oil for deep-frying
- 2 limes for serving
Place cornflour, rice flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a bowl and mix to combine.
Add sparkling water and mix until a thin batter is achieved. You may need to add a little more water.
Coat vegetables in batter and deep-fry in hot oil for about 30 seconds, or until batter is crisp, but not golden brown.
Remove vegetables from oil using a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
Season with Maldon sea salt and serve immediately with wedges of fresh lime.