Water utility runs out of money
UTHUKELA Water Utility, which serves more than 1.2million households in northern KwaZulu-Natal, has been forced to operate on an overdraft since its bank account hit zero.
Owed R103-million by Amajuba and uMzinyathi district municipalities, it had to apply for a R5-million overdraft to pay salaries and contractors, and to provide services.
Its managing director, Msizi Cele, yesterday downplayed it s financial situation.
"We had to ask for an overdraft due to cash-flow problems. There is nothing sinister about that," he said. - Mhlaba Memela
Lenasia team told to keep it legal
HUMAN Settlements Minister Tokyo Sexwale yesterday warned the Special Lenasia Intervention Team appointed to look into the demolition of houses in the area that illegal solutions would not be accepted.
"No agreement emanating from this room must be unlawful, even though the temptation might be there. I cannot implement unlawful solutions," he said at the team's first meeting yesterday.
"We are a constitutional state and we have no choice but to operate within the law," Sexwale said. - Sapa
'We're thugs; look at our body language'
WILLEM Pieterse, one of the men convicted for the murder of Pretoria mother Channelle Henning in Pretoria last year, yesterday told the Pretoria High Court that he and former Nigerian Olympic athlete Ambrose Monye had something in common.
"We are both thugs. You can see it. Body language; the way you talk. Those things say a lot," Pieterse testified in the murder trial of Monye and Andre Gouws, who are also accused of killing Henning, conspiracy to murder, conspiracy to procure an illegal firearm and ammunition, and possession of an illegal firearm and of ammunition.
They have both pleaded not guilty. - Sapa
Schools in court bid to block closure
EIGHTEEN schools in Western Cape are asking for an interdict to prevent the education department from shutting them down.
The schools, together with the SA Democratic Teachers' Union, filed papers for the interim interdict in the Cape Town High Court on Tuesday.
The action has been directed at provincial education MEC Donald Grant, his department, Basic Education Minister Angie Motshekga and Justice Minister Jeff Radebe. - Sapa