Greed is devouring ANC, says Mantashe
ANC secretary-general Gwede Mantashe said that the new ANC national executive committee will begin to implement in earnest the recommendations of the inquiry set up by the party which revealed serious irregularities in the nominating of councillors before the 2011 local government elections.
Speaking in Richmond, KwaZulu-Natal yesterday, Mantashe said that if it were found that ANC members had abused the nomination process the party would not hesitate to hand them over to the police.
A team led by African Union Commission chairman Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma investigated more than 400 allegations of nomination irregularities nationally. It recommended that 125 nomination processes be redone.
The team recommended that some of the councillors be recalled. It found, among other things, that ANC members imposed unpopular candidates on communities ahead of the elections.
Mantashe said that if the report recommended a re-run of the nomination process, the ANC would comply.
If a councillor was renominated by the community, that councillor would not be recalled, Mantashe said. However, if a councillor was not renominated, that councillor would be recalled and a by-election held.
He said the ANC had to ensure that it rooted out greed and corruption during its "Decade of the Cadre" to ensure that its members we re people of value.
The extension of the membership probation period from eight weeks to six months, agreed at the Mangaung conference, should prepare new recruits to be members with value.
"[Greed] is eating [the ANC] to death. [Some ANC members] have become like mice in a cheese factory," Mantashe said.
He promised a KwaZulu-Natal family that had lost a grandchild during Sunday's fierce storm in the Midlands that he would see to it that the child had a decent funeral.
The assurance was made during Mantashe's visit to Mhlangandlovu, near Dalton, in the Midlands. He also visited Pietermaritzburg, Richmond and Umshwati.
"In African culture there is no such thing as a pauper's funeral, so all the requirements will be made to ensure that there is a decent funeral," said Mantashe.
He was accompanied by national executive committee members.
The assurance by Mantashe came as a relief for Velephi Makhaye who lost his seven-year- old grandchild, Bheko Dladla, during the storm.
The boy was struck by lightning and killed instantly.
According to the local councillor, Godfrey Maseko, the storm affected more than 21 families.
"That is the figure we currently have but we expect it to increase," said Maseko.
Maseko however, is likely to get into trouble because it has emerged that he is a teacher at Cebelihle High School, in uMsinga.
Mantashe called on education MEC and KwaZulu-Natal provincial executive committee member Senzo Mchunu to look into the matter of teachers who doubled as councillors.
Mchunu said last year that teachers who have been appointed as full-time councillors should resign from their school posts.