Tue Oct 25 14:02:13 SAST 2016

ANC wants R600m deals probed

Paul Vecchiatto | 02 May, 2014 06:28
File photo.

The Western Cape ANC wants to know how the province came to award tenders worth about R600-million to collapsing construction company Filcon.

Filcon filed for business rescue earlier this month but has been contracted to build and refurbish houses in Mannenberg and Atlantis.

It also won a contract for building at the University of Cape Town and a number of private sector contracts.

ANC Western Cape chairman Marius Fransman said he will demand information about the contracts from the premier's office in terms of the Promotion of Access to Information Act.

"There is no doubt that the Western Cape government awarded the contracts to Filcon. What we have to determine is if it was done wilfully," he said.

Fransman said that the DA-controlled Western Cape government was guilty of maladministration. He added that the Western Cape ANC would consider asking public protector Thuli Madonsela to investigate the awarding of the contracts.


If you have an opinion you would like to share on this article, please send us an e-mail to the Times LIVE iLIVE team. In the mean time, click here to view the Times LIVE iLIVE section.