#Zuma Must Fall culprit facing jail or hefty fine
The man who draped the side of a Cape Town building with a huge Zuma Must Fall banner on Friday faces the possibility of jail time or a fine.
The City of Cape Town said yesterday that it had referred the case to the National Prosecuting Authority because the posting of the banner had contravened two by-laws.
"An individual will be charged for contravening the outdoor advertising by-law and the national building by-law," said city spokesman Priya Reddy.
"The penalty is either a fine or jail time. The prosecutor will decide."
Reddy refused to identify the man who had the banner hung, saying he would be named in court .
But the man has his supporters.
Sifiso Madondo, of the #ZumaMustFall campaign, said that although the campaign was not responsible for hanging the banner it would support the man who did.
"We don't know who did it but we loved it," Madondo said. "It was brilliant. We'll encourage our members in Cape Town to support the man who did it if he goes to court, to show him he is not alone."
Madondo said his campaign had benefited from the media attention - its social media pages were trending and the number of hits on its website had hugely increased at the weekend.
The remnants of the six-storey banner hung on Friday were removed from the Overbeek block of flats yesterday morning.
Tensions ran high on Saturday when ANC supporters entered the building with knives and scissors to remove the poster.
JP Smith, the city councillor responsible for safety, said the police and metro police had been asked whether anyone had been arrested for malicious damage to property.
The SAPS said no arrests had been made. The metro police could not be reached for comment.