Latest
Thu Dec 08 02:07:20 SAST 2016

ANC denies receiving R42 million funding from PIC

Kingdom Mabuza | 2016-01-21 00:30:17.0
Holomisa said R42-million was paid to the party in three transactions allegedly using third parties. ANC treasurer-general Zweli Mkhize dismissed the claims yesterday. File photo
Image by: Judy de Vega / The Herald

The ANC yesterday said it would co-operate fully with the public protector after a complaint that workers' pension money was used to bankroll the party.

UDM leader Bantu Holomisa laid a complaint with Public Protector Thuli Madonsela this week claiming the Public Investment Corporation had allegedly channelled money to the ANC to pay staff salaries and fund the party's 104th birthday celebrations in Rustenburg, North West, earlier this month.

Holomisa said R42-million was paid to the party in three transactions allegedly using third parties. ANC treasurer-general Zweli Mkhize dismissed the claims yesterday.

"The ANC rejects these allegations as being false and baseless. The ANC has no knowledge of these transactions nor any record of such monies being paid to the organisation.

"The ANC respects the right and obligation of any individual to request a formal inquiry where there is suspicion of fraudulent and corrupt activities and will therefore co-operate fully with the investigation, if requested," Mkhize said.

A group calling itself My Vote Counts, which is campaigning for transparency of funding for political parties, yesterday raised its concerns and called for a full investigation into Holomisa's allegations.

My Vote Counts campaign coordinator Judith February said though "the veracity of the complaint has not yet been established, it raises concerns regarding the lack of transparency in relation to the funding of political parties as well as the possible abuse of state resources for narrow political gain".

"We are hopeful that the public protector's office will deal swiftly with Holomisa's very serious complaint in order that the cloud hanging over the ANC and the PIC could be lifted," she said.

Belinda Moses, the spokesman for the Office of the Public Protector, confirmed a request for investigation was submitted on Monday. She said the matter had been referred to assessors, who would then advise the public protector whether there were a basis for an investigation.

SHARE YOUR OPINION

If you have an opinion you would like to share on this article, please send us an e-mail to the Times LIVE iLIVE team. In the mean time, click here to view the Times LIVE iLIVE section.
X