SABC board member walks out
Another member of the beleaguered SABC board has resigned amid ongoing controversy over the operational management and governance of the troubled national broadcaster.
Patricia Makhesha resigned in December and p arliament has now been asked to search for a replacement for her.
In parliamentary papers published yesterday, Communications Minister Dina Pule notified Speaker Max Sisulu on January 18 of Makhesha's resignation effective from December 31.
Pule further requested the National Assembly to recommend a candidate to fill the vacancy until 2015, when Makhesha's contract was due to expire.
Reasons for Makhesha's departure are not known and efforts to reach her proved fruitless yesterday. She joins a long list of former board members who left, many citing poor governance, interference and continued infighting on the board.
Portfolio committee on communications chairman Eric Kholwane said he was not aware of the reasons behind the resignation.
He said ongoing speculation about the continuous financial and corporate governance by SABC bosses would be dealt with when the committee meets next week.
DA MP Marian Shinn said she was aware that Makhesha had resigned but had "no idea what her reasons would be".
SABC spokesman Kaizer Kganyago said the resignation and the events unfolding at the broadcaster were two separate issues.
Earlier this year, DA MP Marian Shinn questioned acting chief operations officer Hlaudi Motsoeneng's decision to convert freelancers to permanent employees. The move negated the SABC's turnaround strategy to cut costs and reduce the employee head count.