3rd witness of Philippine massacre killed, body chopped to pieces
A Philippine prosecutor says a witness in a 2009 massacre of 57 people has been killed and his body chopped to pieces.
He is the third witness in the politically charged case to be killed.
The victim, Esmail Amil Enog, testified in court last year that he drove dozens of gunmen to the site of the massacre in southern Maguindanao province.
Prosecutor Nena Santos said Thursday that Enog was killed in March, but authorities learned about it only recently. He had refused Justice Department protection.
Members of the powerful Ampatuan clan are suspected in the massacre of their opponents in the impoverished, lawless region. Among the dead were at least 31 media workers.
Human Rights Watch urged the government to improve witness protection.