London residents lose legal fight over anti-aircraft missiles plans
A group of London residents Tuesday failed in their legal attempt to stop the deployment of anti-aircraft missiles on their rooftops during the Olympic Games at the end of July.
The High Court rejected the group's request for a judicial hearing on the plan by the Defence Ministry to deploy the missile systems in the event of an airborne terrorist attack during the Games from July 27.
The tower block in Leytonstone, near the Olympic park in east London, is one of six sites where the ministry wants to place the systems from the end of this week.
The judge ruled that the residents had been under "something of a misapprehension" about the nature of the equipment to be deployed and the risks it would bring.
The residents had argued that their lives would be threatened and their human rights would be breached by the deployment of high-velocity missile systems, which was unprecedented in peacetime.
The ministry, meanwhile, described the deployment as part of a "multi-layered security plan" and "powerful deterrent."
Lawyers representing the ministry argued that the plans were both "legitimate and proportionate" given the stated aim of "defence of the realm."
The Defence Ministry said it was pleased with the decision. "We are planning for the worst-case scenario, not the most-likely scenario," said a spokesman.