US kidnap victim insists she will recover from captivity - Times LIVE
   
Latest
Sat Mar 25 15:40:44 SAST 2017

US kidnap victim insists she will recover from captivity

Sapa-AFP, Reuters | 2013-08-01 19:09:59.0
Michelle Knight speaking in a video expressing gratitude for the tremendous outpouring of kindness in a video
Michelle Knight speaks in a video to express gratitude to people from Cleveland and across the world who have offered support to her, Amanda Berry and Gina DeJesus in a video that was filmed last week in the offices of the law firm managing a trust fund established for the three women and released June 9, 2013 by Hennes Paynter Communications. Three young Ohio women freed two months ago from a decade of captivity in the home of a former school bus driver spoke publicly for the first time since their ordeal in a video released early on Tuesday thanking supporters and loved ones.
Image by: HANDOUT / REUTERS

With tears pouring down her face, Michelle Knight vowed Thursday that she will recover from 11 years of captivity and torment in an Ohio home.

"I will overcome all of this that happened," said Knight, who was among three young women held captive for a decade by 53-year-old unemployed Cleveland man Ariel Castro.

"You will face hell for eternity," the 32-year-old told Castro at his sentencing hearing.

"From this moment on I won't let you define me or affect who I am. You will live. I will live on. While you die a little every day as you think about the 11 years and atrocities you inflicted on us."

In a deal which will have him spend the rest of his life in prison without the chance of parole, Castro has pleaded guilty to kidnapping and abusing the young women.

'I am not a monster,' Cleveland abductor Ariel Castro tells court

Cleveland kidnapper Ariel Castro admitted at a court hearing on Thursday that he was a sick man but said he is not the monster described by prosecutors as abducting and persecuting three women for years.

Castro delivered a rambling statement to the court. He is expected to be sentenced to life in prison.

Castro said he makes no excuses for his behavior, which he said was "wrong."

SHARE YOUR OPINION

If you have an opinion you would like to share on this article, please send us an e-mail to the Times LIVE iLIVE team. In the mean time, click here to view the Times LIVE iLIVE section.
X