Boy dies of black mamba bite because hospital had no anti-venom: report
A 13-year-old Zimbabwean boy has died after being bitten by a black mamba in the south of the country, according to a report.
According to the privately-owned Southern Eye newspaper, the boy was bitten twice on Monday morning. Relatives rushed him to St Luke's Hospital in rural Lupane district but he died at noon because there was no anti-venom to treat him.
"The whole of Lupane [has] no anti-venom medicine," the newspaper said.
"There was nothing much the boy could receive as treatment."
Black mambas are among the deadliest snakes in Africa. A bite can kill in hours.
Anti-venom exists for black mamba bites but it is not widely available in Zimbabwe.
Cases of patients surviving if they are put on a life support system have been recorded in the region.
A man died at the same hospital last week after a puff adder bite, the Southern Eye reported.