Manifesto of Anders Behring Breivik
A 1500-page manifesto posted on the internet by Anders Behring Breivik sets out his reasons for Friday's bomb and gun attacks.
Norwegian police said Breivik published the document in English on Friday, hours before the killings. Here are excerpts from "2083 - A European Declaration of Independence":
- "I don't hate Muslims at all. I acknowledge that there are magnificent Muslim individuals in Europe. In fact, I have had several Muslim friends over the years, some of which I still respect. This does not mean, however, that I will accept an Islamic presence in Europe. Muslim individuals who do not assimilate 100% within 2020 will be deported as soon as we manage to seize power.
- "Although I do admit that I am disgusted by the current development, I would rather say I'm driven by my love for Europe, European culture and all Europeans. This does not mean that I oppose diversity. But appreciating diversity does not mean that you support genocide of your own culture and people.
- "I've spent a total of nine years of my life working on this project. Around year 2000 I realised that the democratic struggle against the Islamisation of Europe, European multiculturalism was lost. It had gone too far . 40 years of dialogue with the cultural Marxists/multiculturalists had ended up as a disaster.
"It would now only take 50-70 years before we, the Europeans, are in a minority. As soon as I realised this, I decided to explore alternative forms of opposition. Protesting is saying you disagree. Resistance is saying you will put a stop to this. I decided I wanted to join the resistance movement.
- "There have been several issues that have reaffirmed my beliefs since then. Among them: my government's cowardly handling of the Muhammad cartoon issue and their decision to award the Nobel peace prize to an Islamic terrorist [Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat] and appeasers of Islam. There have been tens of other issues.
- "If you are unwilling or incapable of killing women due to the principles of chivalry you should probably steer away completely from the armed resistance movements and should probably consider creating yet another right-wing blog instead.
- "Once you decide to strike, it is better to kill too many than not enough, or you risk reducing the desired ideological impact of the strike. Explain what you have done . and make certain that everyone understands that we, the free peoples of Europe, are going to strike again and again.
- "Do not apologise, make excuses or express regret, for you are acting in self-defence or in a pre-emptive manner."