12 Sasolburg protesters appear in court, 8 get bail
Twelve people implicated in last week's unrest in Sasolburg appeared in the local magistrate's court, said Free State police.
They were charged with public violence and malicious damage to property, said Colonel Motantsi Makhele.
He said eight of them were granted bail of R1000 each.
"The others were not released as it was found that they have previous convictions," he said.
They would all appear in court again on March 14, together with another 34 protesters who appeared in the same court on Monday, and were granted bail.
About 200 protesters were arrested last Monday and Tuesday during violent protests against a proposal to merge the Metsimaholo local municipality in Sasolburg with the Ngwathe municipality, under which Parys falls.
Most of them are scheduled to appear in court this week, and are expected to apply for bail.
Four people were killed during the protests. Several others, including two police officers, were injured, and there was substantial damage to property.
Co-operative Governance and Public Affairs Minister Richard Baloyi announced last Tuesday that the merger would not immediately go ahead.
free to read for a
limited period! SIGN UP