'iSibaya' fans threaten to desert after death
It's been a while since the death of a TV character caused so much consternation among viewers, but some fans have threatened to boycott iSibaya after the death of one of the show's main characters.
Siyabonga Twala plays Mpiyakhe Zungu, a taxi boss in the Mzansi Magic show.
The series is about the battle for wealth and power in the taxi industry between two families - the Zungus and the Ndlovus - who live in Bhubesini, in the Thukela Valley, KwaZulu-Natal.
On Thursday Zungu was killed in a car accident, which has left fans of the show reeling, with some vowing to cease watching.
- @Percy_Neo: "I hope the iSibaya directors don't pull a Generations on us - where Tau dies and then he comes back with some lame story."
- @relatewithpius: "Zungu's death is a disaster. The script editor had better have something justifiable."
- Mike T Sigasa: "iSibaya is nothing with no Mpiyakhe. Bring him back."
- Keketso Stunna Ntsuele: "Why would you kill Mpiyakhe so suddenly? That really sucks!"
- Sphesihle Thisile Somagwa: "Is the [Broadcasting Complaints Commission of SA] taking complaints about the death of Zungu?"
Twala is expected to pop up on the SABC2 soapie Muvhango in less than two months, though neither channel has confirmed this.
When asked if Twala would appear on the soapie, Muvhango's spokesman, Kgalema Mametse, said yesterday: "We're seeing some people for a particular role - it's a leading role. Yes, Siyabonga Twala was [among] the several actors [part of the casting]. However, we have not made a final decision.
"We hope we will have an answer by Friday."
Mzansi Magic publicist Bongiwe Potelwa said: "Siyabonga is an in-demand actor and, like many actors, works on more than one show."
She added: "The car accident early in the series has been carefully planned since early script development days. It is part of the plot and viewers need to keep watching to see where this develops."
iSibaya is on Mzansi Magic, DStv channel 161, at 8.30pm from Monday to Thursday.
digital access - or try
a day pass for
only R15! SUBSCRIBE