Sabie residents and tourists trapped by protests

05 February 2016 - 03:05 By Shaun Smillie

Tourists and the residents of Sabie were prevented from leaving the town near Kruger Park yesterday when protesters barricaded all exit roads.Sabie police spokesman Constable Mandy Mculu said the protesters began barricading the roads early in the morning."They were protesting because electricity had been cut to an illegal settlement the day before," she explained. About 500 people were involved in the protest.Mculu said no one had been arrested or injured although the police had to use rubber bullets to disperse the crowd.By mid-morning the barricaded roads had been reopened.This is not the first time Sabie has experienced such protests.In September last year the SANParks Kruger Park Facebook page warned visitors to the park:"If you're on your way to the Kruger Park, don't try to go via Sabie. The town is under lockdown. We can't get out of town and nobody can come in."Cars are thrown with rocks (sic)," a post said.Mculu said there was a concern that protesters would regroup during the night and reblock roads.

This article is reserved for Sunday Times subscribers.

A subscription gives you full digital access to all Sunday Times content.

Already subscribed? Simply sign in below.

Registered on the BusinessLIVE, Business Day or Financial Mail websites? Sign in with the same details.



Questions or problems? Email helpdesk@timeslive.co.za or call 0860 52 52 00.