Tony Yengeni's drunk driving trial postponed due to lawyer's absence

10 February 2016 - 14:20 By Jenna Etheridge

ANC national executive committee member Tony Yengeni will have to wait until Friday for his drunk driving trial to continue in the Cape Town Magistrate's Court.

THE DRINKER, HIS DRIVER AND THE MASERATI: ANC NEC member Tony Yengeni leaves the Cape Town Magistrate's Court yesterday
THE DRINKER, HIS DRIVER AND THE MASERATI: ANC NEC member Tony Yengeni leaves the Cape Town Magistrate's Court yesterday
Image: ESA ALEXANDER

He was to have appeared on Wednesday, but his lawyer, Advocate Dirk Uijs, was unable to make it and the case was postponed.

Yengeni was arrested in Green Point, Cape Town, after being pulled over while driving his white Maserati erratically in 2013.

Yengeni allegedly drove with a blood-alcohol level of 0.25%, five times the legal limit of 0.05%. He is out on R500 bail.

Last month, Sergeant Jonas Gomba, who took Yengeni into custody in 2013, told the court he had called for back-up after four men tried to obstruct him during Yengeni's arrest.

"They arrived at the scene and told me I am not allowed to handcuff him, asking if I know who this man was. One of them approached me in a threatening way," Gomba testified.

He said Yengeni was being "riotous", and swore and pointed his finger at him after he was pulled over after nearly hitting a curb. He apparently refused to take a breathalyser test.

Uijs said his client refused as the kit had not been sealed.

Gomba said Yengeni had expressed regret for his behaviour.

Source: News24

X